Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Make a T-Shirt Painting Smock


My older daughter’s Girl Scout troop did a painting session led by a local art instructor yesterday. Our troop leader told the girls to wear an old T-shirt so they would not get paint all over their clothes. I had wanted to make a smock of some kind for awhile now so I decided to repurpose an old T-shirt of mine. I needed something easy and fast, too.

I looked through my embarrassingly large collection of old t-shirts and found an old white one with an art picture on it. I was willing to part with it for this project. I turned the shirt over and simply cut a straight line from the bottom all the way up through the collar. I then sewed a seam along each side of where I cut. (This part could have been skipped, but I wanted a little bit of a finished look.) I don’t have a serger so I just used my sewing machine to sew two straight seams.





I cut four 16-inch pieces of grosgrain ribbon (7/8 inch). I sewed two of the ribbons under the collar on each side of the cut. Then I sewed the other two ribbons a little further down the back of the shirt. I made sure to line them up facing each other so that I could tie them together later.


I was finished!



My 3 year-old was the model while her older sister was at school. There was not much to it, and I think it served its purpose. Now the girls can use their T-shirt smocks for everyday painting projects.


Our girl scout troop had a blast painting, and Ididn't have to worry about paint spills!




12 comments:

  1. Great idea! I feel like I need one of these too. :) I'm hosing a state art giveaway that you should enter! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/10/state-art-giveaway-from-word-lust.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I need an adult-size one, too! Thanks for the giveaway invite :)

      Delete
  2. I remember having a paint smock as a kid and loved it! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know my kids will get some good use out of them, too!

      Delete
  3. What a cool idea! I love that the ties on the back mean that paint won't get on their face or in their hair. We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow, so stop by if you get a minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the ties in the back are a great help when the kids are working on a messy craft :) Thanks so much for the feature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your look!! is very creative and really nice..!! the t-shirt is so cool. I remember having a paint smock as a kid and loved it! Great idea!. Every t-shirt is unique and has superb design. Thanks for sharing..

    Vintage Rock T Shirts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply fabulous DIY for the fashionista! LOVE THIS! great project! These are beautiful printed t-shirts. Every t-shirt is unique and has superb design.
    Vintage Rock T Shirts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Post !!!
    it's very unique trick to make creative t shirts. It looking very cool.Also I like the way you written the blog and post also impressive. Thanks for sharing such a nice blog..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice kids t shirts! Nice blog and thank for your share! wholesale blank t shirts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this creative blog. I hope you can share more articles about Wholesale T Shirts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Mama Gets It Done! I love hearing from you!